11/18/10

My Civilian Duty

I have been MIA for the last few days but I have a good excuse, or at least one that I can get away with..I have been on jury duty this week! Yay-I know you are all very jealous, don't lie! :)  Anyways, this was my first time to serve on jury duty and it def opened my eyes to quite a few things.  Just to name a few...

-No employee with Jefferson County will ever die of a heart attack-not one soul in that building has ever heard the meaning of the word "hurry up" or "time management"
-If the courthouse has to ask you to waive your payment for your services due to "budget cuts" and "the spiraling economy" understand that when I take my money and run, it is not meant to offend you, it just means that your problems with your county are not my problems-I'm a taxpayer, I deserve my $30-everythign else is up to you!
-Our courthouses could stand to work on getting some form of entertainment in the jury waiting room like a TV or a radio-I mean, we are already forced to sit there for God only knows how long, at least humor us with some background noise
-I'm pretty sure it costs jsut as much to use the A/C unit than it does to use the heater...let's give that a try next time, how 'bout it?! :)

Even though it sounds like I am bitchin', my overall experience was not bad at all.  I served 3 days like a good little citizen and did my duty.  As some of you know, I am not a fan of suprises or anything that I am unaware of or can not control-hence the control freak in me-so I will admit I had a bad attitude about it at first but I was proven wrong, of course after because then I knew what to expect!  :) 
I was put on a criminal case that was very interesting (a drug trafficking trial) and helped me see through other peoples eyes how life is outside of my cookie-cutter little world.  I would recommed that everyone experience this at least once on their lifetime for nothing more than to get off work for a few days and get paid the big bucks (not!) doing it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment